Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday's Obituary: William and Sina Kelly

As I've been sorting through my personal archives in recent days, I'm surprised by items I had either forgotten about or didn't realize that I had. Among them were the funeral books for both of my Kelly grandparents, which included the newspaper clippings of their funeral notices. No dates or sources are written on either. I'm speculating that Sina's is from the Ashland, Nebraska Gazette and I'm quite certain that Bill's is from the Lincoln, Nebraska Journal.


Funeral Is Conducted
For Mrs. Kelly, 66


Funeral services were conducted Monday morning at the Marcy Chapel for Mrs. Sina Harriett Kelly, 66, who died Thursday, Nov. 3, at her home in Greenwood.

Mrs. Warren Robinson and Mrs. Barbara Laune sang "Lead Kindgly Light" and "The Old Rugged Cross," accompanied by Mrs. Howard Anderson, organist. The Rev. Clarence Stirn officiated. Pallbearers were Walter Marolf, Maynard Griffith, Harold Pilfold, Evan Armstrong, Charles Dyer, and Elmer Leadabrand. Burial was in Greenwood Cemetery.

Mrs. Kelly was born at Fremont April 3, 1889.

KELLY - William LeRoy, Sr. 77, Greenwood, died Tuesday, Retired mayor and city electrician in Greenwood. Survivors: son, W. L, Kelly, Jr., St. Louis, Mo.; daughters, Mrs. William Dulin, Springfield, Mo., Mrs. Kenneth L. Peterson (sic), Lincoln, M. J. Kelly, Eugene, Ore.
Services: 10 a.m. Friday, Marcy Chapel, Ashland. Burial Greenwood Memorial.

Notes:
Sina Belllinger Kelly died November 3, 1955. William Kelly died December 31, 1968. My parents and I were getting ready to attend the funeral of Henrietta Beale ("Aunt Etty") when word arrived of my grandfather's death. Dad was to be a pallbearer at Etty's funeral, but we immediately went to Greenwood instead. Mom lost her two closet living older relatives within days of one another.

William and Sina Kelly
Greenwood Memorial Cemetery
Greenwood, Nebraska

Bill and Sina Kelly
as I remember them

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful what's tucked away in those boxes and cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What luck and you saved some $ because you didn't have to order them. So glad you found these.

    ReplyDelete