Friday, November 19, 2010

Follow Friday: Around the Blogosphere - November 19

The genealogy bloggers were writing up a storm this past week with a lot of great posts. Listed here are my favorite posts from the past week.

As always, Kerry Scott of Clue Wagon made me laugh with the post (and photo!) What Would Genealogist Barbie Look Like? You definitely need to check this one out.

Gena Philibert Ortega provided a wonderful bibliography on How to Search Immigrant Ancestors on the Family History Expo blog.

Paula Stuart-Warren offered some great suggestions about capturing your first impressions with your research. Paula also had another great post about planning for family interviews during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. Paula has a long list of questions to jump start your interviews. Paula's blog is Paula's Genealogical Eclectica.

A lot of blog posts were spawned from the 2010 Atlanta Family History Expo. Here are some of those I enjoyed reading:

Live From the Beacon of Bloggers from Tonia's Roots (Tonia Kendrick).

Atlanta Family History Expo - Day 2 by Linda McCauley on Documenting the Details. Also from Linda were some photos capturing the Expo in Atlanta.

Amy Coffin wrote a great synopsis of the Atlanta Family History Expo on her We Tree Genealogy blog. Amy was one of the first bloggers to welcome me to the geneablogger community and I'm hoping we'll get to meet in person at a conference next year.

Links to all of the Family History Expo posts from the Bloggers of Honor is on the FHExpo blog.

Since my great grandmother's family lived in Litchfield, Connecticut, I appreciate the wonderful list of genealogy resources for Litchfield on the Relative Musings blog.

DearMyrtle has a great article about saving genealogies for future generations.

For those who may be exhibiting at a conference, some great tips were provided by Jenna Mills of Desperately Seeking Surnames.

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has a great contribution to the 100th Carnival of Genealogy with his post on "There's One in Every Family." Randy's opening paragraph hit pretty close to home! I guess I'm the one in my family.

Lynn Palermo of the Armchair Genealogist is a fellow Kindle aficionado and writes about making the move to audio and digital books. Lynn also recommends Audible.com - as do I. Listening to biographies and books about American history and politics makes the commuting and waiting time go by much faster.

And, finally, is Elizabeth O'Neal's post So ... This is Nebraska on Little Bytes of Life which includes the poetry of Nebraska's adopted son (he was born in Iowa) Ted Kooser. Kooser's words paint a delightful picture of my home state. Kooser is the former poet laureate of the United States. Did you know that one of our elementary schools is named for Ted Kooser? He's one of our treasures, so I was pleased to see Elizabeth include his poem on her blog.

Hmm .... how many times did I use the word 'great' in this post? Well, this week was great!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mention, Susan. You are definitely on my list of people to meet. We have to cross paths at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, Thanks so much for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for including my post, Susan. I'm sad to say that I had never heard of Ted Kooser before I did the research for Bill West's poetry challenge. I love the imagery in this poem, as well as the others I ready by Mr. Kooser. I think I'm definitely going to have to add his book to my collection. Wonderful to know that a school was named for him - thanks for that tidbit of information! I really need to get to Nebraska some time, and hopefully we'll get a chance to talk in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay - the Barbie one was hilarious. Thank you for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout-out, Susan!

    ReplyDelete