Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - Missing My Mom

It's been 27 years since my Mom died. That seems like such a long time. She died at age 55, which seems very young to me. Her strength through her struggle with cancer helped me be strong during her illness.

To this day, I feel a void in my life, an empty space. But I also sense that she is along for the ride on my genealogical journey. It was from her that I heard most of the family stories. Don't I wish I had had the foresight to have written some of them down! Too many of the stories have faded from memory over the years. Once I  got started dabbling in family history, Mom frequently said she wished that her Dad and Aunt Etty were around to ask about certain events.

The Kelly family was Irish down to the bone. In my younger years, I always said that I was half Irish and half Danish. Over the years, I've discovered that my heritage also includes ancestors from England and Germany.

The days have passed since Mom's death when I would go to the phone to call her, only to realize I couldn't. Now, I talk with her on a spiritual level.

Perhaps one of the reasons I am trying to preserve my family history is to make it a lasting tribute to my Mom. I think she would like that.

4 comments:

  1. I wish you a wonderful day. I'm sure your mom would be so proud of all of your accomplishments. I know how hard it is to lose someome you love. The pain that one faces never goes away but with this interest in your family heritage will help keep the spirit of her alive within you. I wish you peace and comfort and I'm sure the angels are shining upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment, Michelle. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, what a nice tribute to your mother. At 55, she was indeed young, and it must have very difficult for you, being an only child. I bet all of that has made you stronger. Michelle (above) had some nice words, so I will leave you to reread what she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Barbara. I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete