Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - Happy Father's Day

Here's one of the earliest photographs of me and my Dad. I'm either a few days or a few weeks old.

My generation is known as the post-war Baby Boomers. Many of our Dads served the country during World War II, and those who survived the war came home, got married and started families. Tom Brokaw was right when he called them The Greatest Generation.

Many of us grew up in traditional environments with a working Dad and a stay-at-home Mom. At least I did. It was a good life.

I learned life's most important lessons from my parents. Get a good education, have a solid work ethic.

Even now, as I'm becoming a senior citizen (egods, I even get Senior Discount at some places!), I'm still learning lessons from my Dad. For example, don't plan on today's income covering retirement expenses twenty years from now! And that health care is expensive, even with Medicare and insurance. Who knew?

I'm fortunate that my Dad is still a big part of my life although our roles have reversed and I am now in the caregiver role. Today is his day with all of his favorites - chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and white gravy and carrot cake. Maybe I'll even get off the computer long enough for us to go for a Sunday drive.

If your Dad is still with you, treasure him. If he's gone, take some time to think about the good memories. And for all of the Dads - your kids love you, even if they don't always say so.

Happy Father's Day.

One of my favorite books about Dads by one of my favorite journalists, the late Tim Russert:

1 comment:

  1. Neat - I love to see Dad's and baby's!
    Tim Russert is/was a favorite, for sure!

    Bill ;-)

    ReplyDelete