Monday, June 7, 2010

Madness Monday - a family squabble

Old newspaper articles are my favorite aspect of genealogy research. That's where you really are able to catch a glimpse of daily life of our ancestors.

A while back, I came across these two legal notices from the Altoona Mirror in Altoona, Pennsylvania. The first was placed by Mrs. Brinton Peight, followed by a notice from her husband, George W. Peight. This couple are not my direct line ancestors, but they are members of the extended Pecht/Peight family. These notices appeared in the newspaper in 1919.

You would think from reading them that the couple was destined for divorce court. They remained together until George's death thirty years later and are buried together at Fairview Cemetery in Altoona.

Text of the legal notices:

NOTICE is hereby given to all hotelkeepers, bartenders, druggists, clubs and individuals in Blair county not to sell, give or furnish in any manner whatsoever any intoxicating liquors to my husband, George W. Peight, 419 Cherry Ave., under penalty of the law.
MRS. BRINTON PEIGHT,
419 Cherry Ave.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN - I hereby notify all dealers that I will not be responsible for any debts contracted by my wife, Mrs. Brinton Peight, after this date, March 24, 1919.
GEORGE W. PEIGHT,
419 Cherry Ave.

3 comments:

  1. Great finds - Love the old articles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a Pecht researcher. Have done extensive research on the Pecht line in Mifflin and surrounding counties, but have never been able to connect George to my husband's line (Solomon 1780-1842). Enjoy your blog. Evelyn Pecht, Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evelyn - please stay in touch with me by email: sooznebr@gmail.com - I haven't come across very many Pecht researchers - especially in the same area. I'd like to follow up to see if we can figure out the connection (if any) between our families. Some of the families kept the spelling of Peight - and my great, great grandfather's brother was Jacob Peight, who was the first ice dealer in Altoona (at least that seems to be his claim to fame in what I've discovered.) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete