Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - Paul Kelly

Paul Daniel Kelly
26 June 1897 - 30 May 1946



This Memorial Day weekend, I pay tribute to Paul Daniel "D.R." Kelly, who was my grandfather's brother.

He died 64 years ago today in Portland, Oregon. He was crossing a street shortly before midnight when struck by a car. The accident was front page news in Portland the next day. Until a few weeks ago, all I knew was that he had been killed in a car accident in Oregon in the 1940s.

Just this week, I finally found a funeral notice in the Oregonian newspaper which indicated he was buried at Mount Calvary cemetery in Portland.

Two weeks ago, my sentimental Sunday tribute was to Paul's wife, Elsie Stambaugh Kelly, who returned to Nebraska some time after Paul's death.



Paul Daniel Kelly and his brother (my grandfather), William Leroy Kelly.


How can you not love those ties!

5 comments:

  1. Nice tribute, Susan. I also had an uncle who was killed while crossing the street (in Louisburg, NC), however, I haven't been able to find any news reports about it. I know how fulfilling (though sad) it must have been for you to have found an actual account of your great-uncle's story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment, Renate. It took me along time to get some news accounts of his death. Perhaps, in time, you'll find some reports on your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I call a Bow Tie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For May 30th blog. I'm a little late, but wanted to say what a sad article. Glad you found the funeral notice. But was cheered by the the photo of the boys. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment, Barbara. "Uncle Paul" died before I was born, but I still feel connected to this family through the family photographs. I love the ties!

    ReplyDelete