Wednesday, June 2, 2010

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday - my "cousins" The Beach Boys

Dennis Carl Wilson
Lincoln, Nebraska
July 1968


Little did I know when I first met The Beach Boys some 42 years ago that we were related! This is something I learned only recently while reading some information about famous descendants of one of my Mayflower ancestors, Francis Cooke. He and his wife are the common ancestors I share with the Wilson brothers - Brian Wilson, Dennis Wilson and Carl Wilson.


Through the magic of Family Tree Maker, I discovered that our common ancestry makes us 10th cousins, once removed. No doubt, in my teen years, I would have brought that up in conversation when I met the group, and no doubt, they would have been less than impressed!

According to the Francis Cooke Society, other famous descendants include three U.S. Presidents: Franklin D. Roosevelt, George H. W. Bush, George Bush; artist Grandma Moses; actor and director Orson Welles; and actors Richard Gere and Dick Van Dyke.


If you're one of the many descendants of this Mayflower passenger, I recommend the Yahoo online discussion group for descendants of Francis Cooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment